• A MALAYSIA AIRLINES A350 AT THE AIRBUS DELIVERY CENTRE IN TOULOUSE. PIC/SHUKOR YUSOF
    Aviation

    Whither Malaysia Airlines without Khazanah’s guidance?

    Trouble can come in threes. Or in Malaysia Airlines’ (MAS) case, trouble lurks in many places. The most serious trouble, as far as the eye can see, is a drop in operational discipline. Here’s an incidentinvolving a MAS Airbus A330-300, registration 9M-MTK on a flight (MH134) from Brisbane to Kuala Lumpur on July 18. Long story short, the flight suffered an airspeed indication failure on takeoff, because the covers on the aircraft’s pitot tubes weren’t removed. These tubes measure static and kinetic air pressure in a moving aircraft to determine the indicated airspeed. Pitot tubes are critical in an aircraft; a pitot tube failure led to an Air France A330 crash…

  • IS THE CUTE LITTLE A220 READY TO CONQUER ASIA? PIC/SHUKOR YUSOF
    Aviation

    Tales from Toulouse

    In between quaffing copious amounts of red and white grape juice from the terroirs of Toulouse and savouring the delicacies the southwest of France offered during lunch, it was easy to miss the reason we were all there this Tuesday week: to witness the launch of Airbus’ new cute little aircraft, the A220-300. Except that the new jet isn’t actually new; two years ago in June 2016 the plane, previously known as a Bombardier CSeries jet, was delivered to Swiss. Those on board the CS100 were so impressed with the plane’s economics and comfort and wrote many positive things about it. Airbus’ legendary salesman, the now retired John Leahy, called the CSeries…

  • EMBRAER’S E190-E2 AT THE SAO JOSE DOS CAMPOS FACTORY IN BRAZIL. PIC/SHUKOR YUSOF
    Aviation

    Boeing offers Embraer a deal it can’t refuse

    Less than a year ago, at a briefing in Singapore, Boeing declared the market for regional jets in Southeast Asia – a region with 640 million people – was just 40. The planemaker forecasts demand for passenger aircraft in Southeast Asia to reach 4,210 units. Of these, 3,230 will be single-aisle, narrowbodies like the B737NGs. On 5 July Boeing announced it is joining forces with Brazilian regional jet maker Embraer. It will take control of Embraer’s commercial aircraft and services operations in a deal valued at USD4.75 billion. Boeing will take an 80% stake in the joint venture worth USD3.8 billion with Embraer holding the remaining 20% and more importantly, keep control of…